Charm is deceptive and beauty disappears, but a woman who honors the Lord should be praised. Proverbs 31:30

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Do It Yourself: Butter Making

So remember when I posted about the 12 things this year I'm going to "make myself". Well...since sales had provided a plethora of yogurt, I figured making yogurt this month, just wouldn't be wise...because I don't want to put to waste what we already had! So, looking in my fridge and seeing what was expiring soon, I saw that I had a quart of heavy whipping cream to use...(forgot to use in a recipe last week...) So #1 and #2 and I tried something I've been wanting to try for a long time...making BUTTER! That's right, home made butter!

I followed the way Brooklyn Farmhouse made butter.

You’ll need:
One pint high-quality heavy cream
A stand mixer
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt (optional)




First pour in your 1qt of heavy whipping cream. Turn the mixer (kitchen aide) onto speed 2. Otherwise it'll splatter all over!
Whip it for about 10-15 minutes. It will make whip cream first.
Then it will start to curdle. If you were making whip cream, you'd be sad now.  Here you could probably turn your mixer up to medium (speed 4).
It was neat to watch it go from cream, to whipped cream, to curdled butter, to creamed butter!
It produces buttermilk!
A lot!
I got about 1.5 cups from the butter, and will be making delicious muffins with it!

Then you wash the butter, to prolong the life of the butter.
If you want to help it even longer, you can add 1/2 tsp of salt.
 Then roll it out and wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper and store in a chilled area! Keeps for about 4 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...