Charm is deceptive and beauty disappears, but a woman who honors the Lord should be praised. Proverbs 31:30

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Helping Others: Homeless Bags

Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? Matthew 25:35-40

Since we live in a city right off the interstate, #1 and I often see hitch-hikers and homeless people standing on the corners. It's interesting because just a couple months or so ago #1 started noticing these people. He asked me why they were standing and holding a sign and not walking or driving somewhere. We've seen some people lately too, and since it's winter (and typically these people aren't dressed warm enough) he said that it was sad they didn't have coats. Wow, really. #1 Way to go! So, I read somewhere a while back about what some people do with things from their "stock-pile". They take extra things or free things that they get and put them in quart size bags and leave them in the car, so then when they see someone to give a bag to, its right there, quick, easy, handy, and useful. We made four of these bags in the fall, and we've given them all away. This week we made four more!



Here's what we put in this batch of bags:
1 Deodorant
1 Toothbrush
1 Toothpaste
1 Shampoo
1 Conditioner
1 Lotion
1 Morning to Go Bar
1 Fruit Snack
1 Peanut Butter to Go
1 snack size baggie of crackers
1 bar of soap
Baby wipes
1 "I Care About You" Card with John 3:16 verse on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...