Charm is deceptive and beauty disappears, but a woman who honors the Lord should be praised. Proverbs 31:30

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Super Nanny…she really does know what she’s talking about


I used to watch this show, when I didn’t have kids. I’d make comments like, “why don’t those parents get it” “parenting can’t be that hard”….boy o boy. Super Nanny taught me one thing…well really many, but this is the one thing I stick with is routine. Kids need routine and you need to stick with it. You can’t say “oh its ok to stay up late tonight” one night and then the next night expect them to go to bed at 7pm sharp. You and your husband need to be on the same page. You need to parent together. That’s what its all about. 

Recently #1 has tested my parenting patience at night, bedtime to be specific! Bedtime seems like a trying time and I’m just not sure why, other than #1 doesn’t want to go to bed. We have a great routine. Drink of milk, brush teeth, Pjs, two stories (one he picks, and a bible story), prayers, and in bed he goes. Recently I’ve been taking away “stories” at night if he isn’t listening…while I thought this was a punishment for him, I’ve learned it’s really more like a punishment for me.  I enjoy reading stories to #1 and sharing God’s word and when I take this away it’s not really a punishment for him because he just sits up longer, screaming longer, fighting it longer. So…instead of taking stories away we’ve added to our prayers. When #1 has had a “testing” night we add to his prayers “Jesus help me to listen better”. I think he gets it. I’m hoping he gets it! I’m going to stick to that routine! 

Where are your biggest struggles with your children?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...