Charm is deceptive and beauty disappears, but a woman who honors the Lord should be praised. Proverbs 31:30

Monday, February 27, 2012

Book Review: Head Trip by Jack Eadon

 I recently was given the opportunity to review Head Trip: One Case of Super Twins by Jack Eadon. This book sounded appealing to me because it was on a "controversial" topic, somewhat. This book is one of seven books "Where the 7 Deadly Sins Come to Life", interesting in that I'm a Christian!

This book is the first in the series of "deadly sins". The sin of Envy. The story is set between 1948 and 1968. We read about the "Super Twins" for the first twenty years of their life. Super Twins is what Jack Eadon describes as superfetation where a second embryo becomes implanted in the uterus after one has already been implanted...yes this is where the book is controversial. The mother chose to have both babies, super twins, but one was really 4 weeks in growth behind the other. Marcus was the first born, but he was the preemie. Roger was the second born and the full term child.

From the very beginning of the book Roger considered Marcus to be an "intruder". This theme continues all throughout the book. Roger isn't the best at everything, while things seem to come fairly simple to Marcus and he succeeds at a lot. Roger gets very angry at this, developing "envy" in his brother. There are times when Roger hits or trips his brother (which I see as sibling rivalry, but then again, I'm not a parent of twins). These instances continue throughout the book.

Marcus, because he was a preemie, has to have some surgeries to "fix" things that weren't fully developed in the womb. Eadon is very descriptive at this, and it was somewhat disturbing to me at times and awkward to read. When Marcus has to have a tumor removed in his brain in his teenage years, Roger takes advantage of this time when Marcus will not be the "best" at everything and steals his girlfriend, sleeps with her, lies to his brother, lies to his parents, and starts going down a very bad slope...Roger eventually plans to do something horrible, I'll let you read to find out. It's a very engaging plot line, I do have to say!

If I'd have to rate this book giving it movie ratings for the words used in the book I'd rate it an R. It had swear words in it, which I don't really enjoy reading, and it was really graphic. It was hard read through some of the chapters because of this. I did find this story interesting because Eadon related the brothers "experiences" to Jacob and Esau in Genesis 25...which provoked me to re-read that chapter in the bible. In Genesis 25:23 it says "The LORD said to her,   “Two nations are in your womb, and two peoples from within you will be separated; one people will be stronger than the other, and the older will serve the younger.” I think Eadon compared Marcus and Roger very similar to this verse in the bible.

If you're into new age and suspense books you'd probably enjoy this book. It just isn't the type of book I'm used to reading.


Would you like to win THIS book? You can! Simply comment below any comment will do, include your email address using words like (i want to win at a book dot com). I'll choose one winner on March 9th at 8pm mountain standard time.

Here you can find out more about Jack Eadon.

video

I received this book free for my review and was compensated for the review, but all the opinions are solely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...