Charm is deceptive and beauty disappears, but a woman who honors the Lord should be praised. Proverbs 31:30

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lent: Adding to Our Faith Walk with Jesus


In Lent, it’s traditional for a lot of people to give up (or ‘fast from’” something(s) that we do a lot of and we find joy in. The fasting is usually done as a discipline for learning self-control or to free our minds from material things, to identify with Christ’s sufferings, and remember what the true pleasures are for followers of Christ; and as an act of sorrow over our wrongdoings and our state of sin. 

Typically as far back as high school I remember giving things up for Lent. I remember giving up chocolate, soda, meat, saying mean things, etc. In the last 3 years I’ve given up Facebook for lent. Now this year I can’t do that…not that I CAN’T give it up, but rather I’m doing the Good Morning Girls bible study on Ephesians and our group connects via Facebook, so it’d be really hard to give it up when I have that faith group to talk to everyday! (Plus there are really good coupons on Facebook). So this year, I’ve decided to add something to my life (and to others’ lives). I’m hopefully adding the kind of good things that follow on what Jesus asks of us.

This Lenten season I’ve decided to pray for someone in my life, everyday (not that I don’t already pray for you all), but intentionally sit down, write out prayers and pray for you. I am also going to make it known to the person I’m praying for via a phone call or a thinking and praying for you card. We pray daily for a lot of people, but sometimes those people don’t really know. So this is my way of taking what the bible talks about in Acts 10:2 “a devout man who feared God with all his household, gave alms generously to the people, and prayed continually to God.”

 Ash Wednesday this year is February 22 (which starts the Lenten Season). What are you going to do for lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...