Charm is deceptive and beauty disappears, but a woman who honors the Lord should be praised. Proverbs 31:30

Thursday, August 16, 2012

DIY: Pedialyte


So this past weekend #2 spiked a pretty high fever. One of her firsts...or at least one that I can remember. While we were out in the morning at the parade (it was probably between 80-85 degrees at 11am) I was unsure if it was from the heat or if she really wasn't feeling well, so I took #1s temperature, his temp was MUCH lower. So, looking at #2 she looked lethargic and not feeling well. I took out the bottle of Tylenol gave her some then started making a batch of Pedialyte. I found this recipe on Pinterest, and the blogger was Baby Savers.My kids have hated the store brands even name brand of Pedialyte, so its honestly a WASTE to buy it at the store, plus you're only supposed to use it for 3-4 days after opening, so a lot ends up in the trash...so I decided to try this recipe from Baby Savers and it worked and #2 drank it!


The recipe that I used was:
Pedialyte Recipe:
  • 1/2 cup hot water
  • 3 1/2 cups water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Jello gelatin powder/mix, any flavor (I used black cherry, its what I had on hand)
Mix salt, sugar and Jello with hot water until dissolved. Stir into 3 1/2 cups of water and serve. Refrigerate up to 3 days.

The reason I am very QUICK to hydrate my kids is because when #1 was 15 months old (the exact weekend Pastor graduated from Seminary in St. Louis, MO) #1 had a fever of 104-105 for 3 days, and on the third day he was unresponsive...I continued to call the nurse hotline and they kept telling me "wait it out" "it will get better". I finally asked to speak to a DOCTOR and he told me to rush #1 to the ER and we were there with #1 hooked up to an IV for 3 hours to get fluid back in him. It was by far the most SCARY situation I have been in...well that one is probably in the top 5 of my list, because #1 is a very active child he's had a few big falls and we've gone to the doctor...but NO broken bones, yet. I fear that day too. He's had to have braces (as a 2 year old) because he was jumping on his bed and hurt his teeth, I'll leave that for another post though.

So anyway, I made the Pedialyte, #2 was hesitant at drinking it, so I took a sip (yup, great mommies taste their kids food first) and then she drank some. She rested and her fever broke within 2 days. BUT Had I not hydrated her as well I fear that we would've been in the ER because of the high temps, however she never threw up, unlike #1 who ALWAYS throws up with a high fever. Joys of kids being sick.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you used that recipe and that it helped get some fluids in your little one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...