I found instructions from Rookie Moms and my friend Marie, over at Adventures in Craziness. Rookie Moms suggested having 5 yards long by 21 inches wide. Marie said hers that she made (from a Full Sized Jersey Knit Sheet) was 215 inches x 25 inches. Since I didn't have a full size sheet that I wanted to cut up, I looked through my fabric and sure enough found a nice red (gender neutral) knit piece of fabric that would work!
What I did was measure 24 inches wide (just to give myself some extra room in case I didn't cut straight, which I didn't). I cut the fabric into thirds.
Then I took the three pieces and sewed them together, the long way. I used a medium size zig zag stitch. My mom, who's an AMAZING quilter and sewer suggested this, so if its pulled it won't come out as easy.
Here's the general instructions for those who'd like to try it.
- Knit fabric (I used Jersey Knit), 5-7 yards (one long piece will usually yield two wraps. Protip: get the lady in the store to cut it for you!)
- A patch made from another material.
- Thread in your sewing machine.
- Cut the fabric in half lengthwise so it is 24 inches wide and 6 yards long
- Iron, pin, then hem the edges.
- Adhere your patch to the middle of the wrap so you can easily find it by feel.