I absolutely LOVE homemade yogurt. It's much better than the store bought stuff and for a fraction of the cost! I recently made a huge batch of yogurt because I had a whole gallon of milk that was going to expire the next day, so I used it to make yogurt. For step by step picture directions, go here.
Here's my recipe:
1/2 gallon of milk = 8 cups (I doubled mine and used a gallon this last time)
1/2 cup Greek yogurt starter (from the store) (or you can make plain yogurt, using any other kind of starter from the store)
1/2 cup sweetener (I use raw honey, but sugar can also be used)
1 TBSP Vanilla (optional)
1. Pour milk into crockpot. Turn on low for 2.5 hours.
2. After 2.5 hours, turn off and unplug. Let it sit for 2.5-3 hours
3. Add your yogurt starter.
4. Take out 1/2 cup for your next batch, so you have another
5. Add your sweetener and vanilla.
6. Insulate and let sit for 8 hours.
7. Strain yogurt using a cheese cloth (or dish towel). I strain my yogurt overnight, in the fridge.
8. Store your yogurt in a container. SAVE the WHEY!
I used my Whey in place of buttermilk for pancakes. The BEST pancakes I've had, HANDS DOWN!