Charm is deceptive and beauty disappears, but a woman who honors the Lord should be praised. Proverbs 31:30

Friday, April 12, 2013

Rainbow Rice

This week we talked about the letter R...rainbow's. It was PERFECT timing on God's part to have it RAIN on Monday...something that rarely happens. Like I can count on two hands how many times its rained THIS YEAR! Crazy.

Anyway, so I had "pinned" rainbow rice on Pinterest. There are MANY ways to do it (or everyone has reposted about one way...). I found it from Four Plus an Angel. It's quite simple actually.

I bought a 20lb bag of rice from Walmart (for 9.98, cheaper than buying in the bulk bin at Winco), and a new tub to put it in. I figured we'd teach the colors of the rainbow, talk about mixing colors, and the color week...so I got a big bin for all 7 colors. I also got a new box of food coloring, which I used it ALL. You'll need a lot. I also used rubbing Alcohol.

So, reacp. You need
20lbs Rice
Food Coloring
Rubbing Alcohol
Bin

We put the rice in bags, 4 cups each. Added 2 teaspoons of color, then 3 teaspoons of the alchol and sang, "gonna shake, shake, shake the rice up, shake, shake, shake the rice up, shake, shake, shake the rice up to mix the colors" - to the tune of Shake Your Sillies Out.

Then I cooked it in the oven for 1 hour at 170 degrees (because it wasn't sunny, people say you can just let it dry in the sun).

Then we added it to the bin. 





#1 had to wait almost a WHOLE HOUR until #2 got up from nap, because I wanted her to see the beautiful colors before they were mixed up. I can't tell you HOW HAPPY #1 was to see #2 get up from rest time.

They had a BLAST....until #2 dumped half of it on the carpet. Oi. Oh well. It was fun.

We did a search and find in the bin to find alphabet letters and numbers. THAT was super fun as well! Oh the fun we will have with this bin!



Linking up with...
 

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a really fun activity for the kids, Beth! We'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...