Charm is deceptive and beauty disappears, but a woman who honors the Lord should be praised. Proverbs 31:30

Monday, April 8, 2013

Recipe Monday: Funeral Salad


Here is the recipe for the "Funeral Salad" or Jello - Cottage Cheese Salad (whichever you prefer) :-)

1 tall container of cottage cheese (or about half the tub from Costco) not sure how many ounces
1 large box (6 oz) of orange jello (dry)  (if you want to make a smaller salad, use a small box of jello and less cottage cheese)

stir the jello into the cottage cheese
then add:
1 8 oz tub of cool whip
1 can of well drained pineapple tid bits
2 small cans of well drained mandarin orange segments


other flavors we like:
raspberry jello and whole berry cranberry sauce
grape jello and blueberries or huckleberries (you can use frozen berries)
strawberry jello with sliced strawberries
peach jello with fresh peaches (canned peaches tend to make it runny)

you can do a pina colada salad similar to this by using
dry banana or vanilla pudding
marshmallows and a can of crushed pineapple with juice instead of cottage cheese
cool whip
and sliced bananas
sprinkle coconut on top

One of the other pastor's wives at our church gave me the recipe MY Pastor has been looking for...the recipe he grew up eating at all those good "German" Potlucks....Funeral Salad, otherwise known as Jello/Cottage Cheese Salad.

We were at an event at our church and they had a potluck and Pastor tried this salad. He leaned over to me (because I had previously tried to make something LIKE this, but failed, miserably) and said "NOW THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE IT, Please find who made this recipe and get it. So I went on the hunt...and I found the recipe!

2 comments:

  1. your Pastor/ hubby saw me pick up the bowl and quickly asked if I made it, and if he could get the recipe!!!! My pastor/ hubby is also a big fan of this salad!!!!! :-) (btw, this post is from 4:00 AM????)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad Pastor saw you so we could get the recipe from you. We've had it 3 times since. I schedule my posts ahead of time. I have some readers on the east coast, so its 6am their time. Don't worry, I was fast asleep at 4.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...