Charm is deceptive and beauty disappears, but a woman who honors the Lord should be praised. Proverbs 31:30

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Traveling with Preschoolers - Part 2 - DIY Games

I want to start out by saying that most of these activities came from Testy Yet Trying. To find all the ways I made these, go to her site. She has excellent directions. The mazes came from this site.

I have our GAMES Bin ready to go for our big trip coming up in June!

Here's my plan of "attack" for the drive.
  • Leave around 4-5am (depending on when my mom wants to get up) and hopefully the kids will SLEEP the first two hours of the trip. {However last year #1 stayed awake until LUNCH, so we'll see how this goes}
  • Give the kids at busy bag - let them play for 15 - 20 minutes 
  • Have the kids switch bags (if able)
  • Small Snack
  • Sing 4-5 songs
  • Watch 30 minutes of a movie
  • Repeat the whole process about 14-15 times!

Here's what I've packed in it.

 Here's what the busy bag game box looks like.

I'll be keeping this box up front with me and throughout the trip. My mom or I will hand back the busy bag rather than letting the kids go wild with the box of fun! 
 This is a paper towel roll with stickers on it, for letter (and number) recognition. I also made some smaller toilet paper rolls with the letters from their names on it!
This is a neat little button activity. I cut 2x2 pieces of felt and cut a slit in them, the kids will then button on the felt. This was geared more for #2, but I knew that if #1 didn't have one, he'd have something to say about it.
Melissa and Doug lacing cards. Always a good road trip tool!
So I recently read a review on this TWISTABLE crayons. On Amazon one lady said that her 3 year old who breaks crayons ALL. THE. TIME. was unable to break these. We'll see how they withstand the trip. I hope they live up to their review. I'll let you know when we get to our destination!
Bolts, washers, and nuts. For some fun tactile work.
I won this DVD on a blog a while back. I have been saving it for the kids, and this will be one of the NEW movies in their box. We will also be bringing Cars, Frog Prince, MANY Veggie Tale movies, Monster's Inc, Toy Story, and a few others.
Left over Valentine Stickers....because who doesn't love stickers.

 I also made 3 felt boards. One is a silly face board. It has three faces, this one is the Alien Face (don't mind my fast cutting and not being picky about the way everything looks).
 This is the rainbow board.
 The house board.
 The paint chip coloring bag.
Here's one of the I Spy Sticker books.

 The kids have to find the sticker that correlates with that page, basically sticker matching.
#2 LOVES stickers! I know this one will be well liked.
 Silly Putty Bag, debating on NOT bringing this one...because silly putty can be dangerously messy.
 Foam letter stickers with a foam pad. Each have letters for their name.
 Button sorting and stringing.

 We made Star Crayons (new post about them soon) to go with this "secret message" bag! Each kid has 4 cardboard pieces with special messages on them...I used Hot Glue to make the messages, then tapes a piece of white paper over the hot glue. The kids will do a crayon rubbing on it to see the message!
 Bead sorting
Key Matching. The kids LOVED that they will get their own "keys". I asked at Lowes if they had any extra keys they didn't want, and got these all for FREE. 
Look and Find books!
 
 I like to surprise my kids with something NEW and special every LONG trip (over 5 hours) and so this time I found some ($6 a piece, which isn't bad I thought) reusable sticker books. #1 is a HUGE Thomas fan, #2, well she's a fan of whatever #1 is, but I'm slowly introducing her to princesses and pink and all sorts of girly. The smaller books I bought thinking they'd be fun, they were only $1.35, but I thought they'd be a bit bigger. I was a little disappointed in them.

I also have some "sewing" projects I haven't completed, because I've been cleaning up PUKE the last 3 days, so pictures on those are on hold, since they are sitting at my sewing machine. I have a Popsicle color sort game, some marble mazes, and felt rings finished.






Lastly, I'm contemplating doing THIS as well. I know #1 would be able to do this, but #2 I'm not so sure...and she is a MONKEY SEE MONKEY DO child. Would you do it?

Come back next week for songs and rhymes that we'll sing to keep ourselves busy! If you missed part 1, you can find it here.

Linking up to:

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful ideas! I am going to pin this to refer back to when we go on vacation at the end of the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so very organized and clever... when my kids were small we had over the seat organizers that I would fill with stuff like this!! Smart mom you are!

    Thanks for linking with Collage Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is simply brilliant. We drove to Disneyland a few years ago and luckily the kids were small enough that they didn't really need anything to do. We have a big trip planned this summer though and they definitely need stuff to keep them busy. Thanks for all of the amazing ideas. I can't wait to make one of those marble mazes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I think the kids will be well entertained in the van this summer!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...