Charm is deceptive and beauty disappears, but a woman who honors the Lord should be praised. Proverbs 31:30

Friday, August 9, 2013

Book Review: Intentional Parenting

I can't say I enjoy picking up parenting books. I feel like all the parenting books are the same knowledge just written by other people. So, I was a little apprehensive to pick up Intentional Parenting by Sissy Goff, David Thomas, and Melissa Trevathan. However, I was oddly surprised. I received a complimentary copy of the book from Thomas Nelson Publishing from Booksneeze, which is a book review program. The opinions below are my own opinions and I was not paid for this post.

Pastor and I read this book aloud to each other on our drive to Oregon in July. The authors have had their own counseling center for many years. They are based out of Nashville. The authors are trying to lead parents to understand themselves, because then they will understand their children. I think this is a great philosophy to parenting. 

Each chapter is based on a common myth in parenthood today. Examples of the chapters are being a patient parent, consistent parents, hopeful parent, encouraging parent. While reading the book the authors embedded scripture in with the advice for parenting. How awesome is it that we can get our advice from the bible! The authors also provide the reader questions while reading, which was especially nice since Pastor and I were reading this together.

I LOVE to mark up my books. I write in them, underline, highlight. You name it. This book is one that I will reread again and take new notes and look at my old notes. I feel this book can help a parent at any stage of parenting (young or old children). It is a book you want to keep as a reference. I highly recommend reading it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...